I was watching the 2012 Summer Olympics this weekend and was thinking how important it was for these athletes to manage their sweat. These events require years of trading blood, sweat and tears for a chance to compete for just a few metals. This year there are over 10,000 athletes competing in a variety of 26 different sports.
Training for strength, power, endurance, speed, agility, flexibility, balance, tactical ability and mental fitness is not only a physical commitment but also a financial one. So taking care of yourself and your equipment is extremely important. Some key factors to be aware of when competing, training or just working out are:
- Pre-hydrate, sweat then re-hydrate
- Drink and eat products that energize, rejuvenate and replenish
- Be aware of the cleanliness of the environment you compete in
- Clean and maintain your sports equipment, clothing and footwear
- Get plenty of sleep
In most cases sweat is good because it cools your body down. If is not removed from sports apparel and equipment in proper time moisture, soil and body oils can cause odors that can hinder your ability to perform. Sweat saturated sports apparel, sport uniforms, jerseys, swimsuits and footwear can become breeding grounds for bacteria.
There are some things that you can do to avoid smelling up your uniform, work-out equipment, locker, gym bag, equipment bag or footwear.
- Dry out or wash you stuff immediately after use
- Do not use fabric softeners or dryer sheets on high performance breathable fabrics. Many of these will actually clog the pores in textiles inhibiting the ability of sweat to wick to the surface and evaporate.
- Protect your sports equipment with OdorBalance® Defense dip or Overtime spray. These both provide long lasting odor protector from odor and its sources. Made in the USA!
- Avoid cleaning products or odor counteractants that have strong fragrances. All of OdorBalance products are odorless, non-allergenic, dye free detergents and cleaners that are designed specifically to remove sweat, body oils, soil including odor and its sources.
- Restore your used equipment using OdorBalance Offense/Defense cleaning system or use OdorBalance LaundryPro for your clothing and towels.
Good luck to all of the USA 2012 Summer Olympians. Be odor free, stink free, happy and healthy. Restore,Protect and Maintain your Athletic Apparel, Gear and Footwear